Job, higher ed and fellowship opportunity seekers are welcome to attend and make valuable career connections, whether or not they are registered for the full ONA21 conference.
Join us for drop-in office hours with recruiters to learn more about opportunities, schedule one-on-one conversations, share your resume (stop by the help desk to get advice on making improvements!), and cap off the day with an incredible networking event. Check out the full ONA21 Career Day schedule below.
Not registered for ONA21? Sign up for a no-cost Networking Pass here. This allows registered participants to make valuable career connections, even if they are unable to attend the full conference. This pass will allow you entrance to the ONA21 Career Day on Monday, June 21 and continued access to all recruiters in the ONA21 Midway through Friday, June 25.
ONA21 Career Day Schedule
With the exception of the networking event, the following events will take place in the ONA21 Midway on Grip.
- Open Drop-In Recruiter Rooms | Click directly into any of 17 recruiters' virtual drop-in rooms | 12 – 3:15 PM ET (16 – 19:15 UTC)
- Resume Help Desk | Expert one-on-one advice on how to best showcase yourself | 1 – 3 PM ET (16 – 19:15 UTC)
- Looking At a Career in Local Broadcast As a Pathway to Digital Success | Learn why why a local TV newsroom might be the best place to find a sustainable career and upward mobility for aspiring digital journalists | 2 PM – 2:30 PM ET (18 – 18:30 UTC)
- Leading a Newsroom with Trust at the Center | Whether you are looking for a newsroom opportunity or already leading, from recruitment to day-to-day management and mentoring, cultivating an internal culture of trustworthiness is critical to newsroom structure. | 2:30 – 3 PM ET (18:30 – 19 UTC)
- Diversity + Inclusion Networking Event | Join Meredith and your fellow ONA21 attendees and Career Day participants for a networking event focused on diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) initiatives. Hear perspectives from senior leaders from PEOPLE, Better Homes & Gardens, People en Español, Entertainment Weekly and others from across this leading media company about DEI through the lens of these seven Employee Resource Groups (ERGs) at Meredith. This round-robin format will allow attendees to hear from five pairs of leaders with time for questions and connections. | 3:30 PM – 4:30 PM ET (19:30 – 20:30 UTC)
Share your resume
In advance of the event, share your resume here so recruiters can set up meetings with you on ONA’s networking platform at the conference. Only registered recruiters, fellowship and grad program leaders will have access to this resume database.
Sponsors, recruiters, fellowship and grad program leaders: Details here on how to get involved.
Participating groups include: ABC News, American University School of Communication, Emerson College, Gannett / USA TODAY NETWORK, Insider, Inc., KPCC + LAist + LAist Studios, Meredith Corporation, News Break, Report for America, Reynolds Journalism Institute, Richner Communications, Sinclair Broadcast Group, Spectrum Networks, TEGNA Inc., The USC Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism, The Wall Street Journal and TIME.
About ONA21 Career Day
Who is this for: Interested job seekers as well as people curious about journalism graduate programs and fellowship opportunities. You do not have to be registered for ONA21 to participate in this event. This is open to anyone, anywhere, but opportunities may have restrictions for applying.
What to expect:
- Recruiter/fellowship/education program video chat rooms + “learn more” sessions
- Scheduling of one-on-one interviews
- Programming specific to professional development needs
- Interactive networking via the ONA platform and a group event to close the day
What is required:
- Attendees can spend the entire three hours, or 15 minutes learning more about an outlet, company or program that interests you.
- In terms of technical requirements, we recommend a laptop or desktop with the latest version of Google Chrome or Firefox for the best possible experience, plus the ability to stream video. Your experience will be likely be fine from a mobile tablet as this will be browser-based, but a smartphone will not provide you with a quality experience.
Who will be there: Fellow opportunity seekers, recruiters, fellowship directors, journalism graduate school leaders
Can’t wait? Check out opportunities anytime on ONA’s Career Center